Friday, May 27, 2011

The problem with the Sentinel

I used to enjoy going to the Clan Lord Sentinel to catch up on what has been happening and to read what ideas other folks have about fixing problems or introducing new features. Granted the chance of any of their suggestions actually making it into Clan Lord are between zero and none. However, I like discussing what could be even if it will never actually be just because I find game theory and mechanics interesting.

The problem is with Maeght and the people who respond to him, thinking that he's engaging in serious discussion. Destian has had some interesting ideas about the Healer class and while I'd love to post on his threads they've all basically degenerated into a conversation between Maeght and Destian. Destian says something reasonable, Maeght counters with examples that have never happened or could never happen and arguments that are absurd or are designed to change the topic of the conversation from what it originally was, Destian responds reasonably, Maeght counters with more insanity, and so on and so forth.

Actually Maeght does this with everyone and even though I've ignored him long ago not everyone does and he tends to take over a thread completely. I've fallen into the trap once or twice, especially when he says that I've said something different then what I meant to say and I think "I'll need to correct him because I don't want anyone not understanding me" only to find out that I was perfectly clear. Does Maeght do that on purpose or is he just stupid? Maybe it's a combination of both but it doesn't really matter because he derails threads regardless of the reason.

I used to think the Clan Lord GMs would gain a lot from reading our ideas, solutions, and problems at the Sentinel but now that far too many of the posters spend far too much responding to Maeght it has lost a lot of its usefulness and general enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment