Thursday, May 26, 2011

Preparing

I took another step closer to resetting and becoming a Ranger by transferring everything I wanted to keep to Jeanne and Moon Kitty so that the only things I have are my mystic tools and yellow outfit. I auctioned off my phantasm books which actually sold even though I didn't bother to get very many phantasms. Jeanne has a bunch of ethereal amulets and ethercles which can be used if we ever want or need to explore the Ethereal Plane again. Maybe one day we'll rescue Tenebrion and find out if he's really dead or alive. I gave Moki my wooden parrot which she is going to treasure since she's a pirate. I think she's been standing up a little straighter with it perched on her shoulder.

I know I should have reset ages ago, but was waiting for something to convince me that I shouldn't. After all, there aren't very many mystics that have full ethereal training and even though I haven't been to the ethereal plane in years and there's no real interest in it I was telling myself that maybe one day I'd be needed. Plus, I have good training in everything except boosting and I think it wouldn't take a lot of training in order to get good at that too. I didn't want to throw all of that away even though there's no real need for any of it. Plus, I kept on thinking maybe there would be more added for mystics but it'll probably be added for Full Mystics with Journeyman and Apprentice Mystics left behind.

Of course, I haven't really left the library much lately and that's required to be promoted. As with all mystics that's always the goal especially since you're not really considered a Mystic until you're a Full Mystic but after a recent trip I started thinking that maybe I didn't want to be a Full Mystic after all.

For one thing I'd have to play politics and probably would have to change my entire personality to be considered the right kind of Mystic to be promoted. I'm not one for politics and I don't care if I'm the right kind of Mystic as far as they're concerned. I think it was talking with Rincewind that really sealed the deal though.

I was talking to him about the parrots that are found in the latest area in the Estuary as well as Tart'targ who's also found there and who refuses to teach us because we're too young. He was telling me that the other Mystics refused to share any information because they were playing politics with what they know. I then asked myself if they were the people I wanted to call my colleagues. What's the point of being accepted into an "elite" group dedicated to knowledge if they won't share knowledge with each other? I can understand why they'd want to pick and choose with what they tell other classes but with each other I thought they'd be more honest if only to have a united front. I probably learn more about mystic secrets by just inviting Mystics to the hunts I'm on and asking them questions then I'd ever get by being a Mystic myself. That's so bizarre I can't quite understand it.

I'm not quite ready to hit the reset button but I'm very close to it. It's just a lot harder to do than I expected. Even if the only thing I got after years of effort is useless junk, it's still my useless junk if that makes any sense at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment